Skip to main content

Malaysia Trip (6th Feb, 2008)

I think today is a nice time to post my Malaysia trip. I’m on the sick leave and have nothing to do at home.

I went to Malaysia on 6 of Feb, It was an eve of Chinese New Year. I woke up at 8 in the morning and I just had a thought to pass the border and wondering around Jahor Baru, the border town on Malaysia side. As soon as I cleaned and tidy up myself, I grabbed my passport and rushed to the city train station which is only 7 minutes walk from my place. I rode the city train, MRT until Woodlands Regional Interchange Station which is only 5 minutes away from Yishun MRT station. There are only 2 MRT station in between Woodlands and Yishun which are Simbawang, Admiralty. I switched from the train to the bus at Woodlands Station to cross the border.

The bus took me to entrance of the immigration portal on Singapore side and waited me at the back yard. It took only more or less 10 minutes to reach the portal. So I presented my passport and multi-entry visa for Malaysia and Singapore and my S-pass card as well. After I check with the officer I went straight to the bus to go Jahor Baru. The bus stopped again and JB immigration portal and I did the same routine on this side. Then I went out from the immigration office to the bus-stop. The bus-stop and the immigration are only a few steps away. However, I have no mood to ride on the bus again. I just on and off the bus less than 20 minutes though. Thus, I looked around and learn the surrounding and found taxi drivers shouting to get passengers. Unlike Singapore, Cabbies from Malaysia unlikely to go with meter. Not always but almost all the time you’ll need to bargain before you go with taxi. All of the sudden, I remembered that I haven’t change the money. I waked to the money changer at the bus-stop and change a few dollars with Malaysia Ringgit. I gave SG$40 to the money changer and I got RM99. I changed only SG$40 because that is the all I have in my purse at that point of time.










Buses waiting for the passengers to cross the border












Outside immigration portal: The bus stand

Not very soon, I just realized that my goal has achieved. I reached Malaysia officially. So I have to think again what I want to do or what I can do. Min my old colleague came into my head. He is working in Melaka. Therefore, I walk towards a group of taxi deriver and started doing the bargain. Of course, there is a bus to Larkin Transcity bus station but I want to try something new. So I hire a taxi to the bus station with RM30 neglecting that the cabby priced me double. Well, I as a foreigner I must accept the situation. I want no-one to blame. The cabby took me to his car which is parked at the parking lot near Immigration portal. He doesn’t register his car for taxi.















The private taxi

The moment I arrived to the Larkin Bus Station, I noticed that Malaysians and Burmese are too much look alike. I think, Malaysians are a little bit darker that Burmese on general. I didn’t notice about that while I was staying in Singapore because I really don’t have idea who is Malaysian, Indonesian and Filipino. It’s quite lucky to learn that the personality and common traits of Malaysians. The ticketing offices were crowed and 13:00 departure ticket is the earliest that I could buy. The long holiday, Chinese new years, is a good chance for Singaporeans and Malaysians to travel. Anyway, it happened to me to wait 2 hours to get on the bus. I took as a good chance to explore the bus station. The station is 2 storied building. There are restaurants and ticketing offices and snacks shops, fashion boutique, mobile phone accessories shops on the first floor and on the second floor is the same thing without ticketing offices. Being conscious of my own security, I decided to buy a mobile SIM card. I didn’t set up my mobile to use abroad. In other words, I didn’t open auto roaming. So I bought one with RM10. SIM cards are 6 times cheaper that Singapore and double more expensive that Thailand. I made a phone call to Min and let him know
that I’m coming.










Larkin bus station










Inside of Larkin bus station












SIM Card

I choose to spend my second hours in Malaysia at Malay Traditional Style Buffet restaurant. I don’t want to go to McDonald or KFC. I want to have the true taste of Malay food. I put some curry and rice into my plate and showed it to the counter. It’s only RM5 including a can of Pepsi. Foods are really delicious. The tasted is much better that Singaporean Malay food. In there restaurant I found not less than 3 Burmese waiter. They are talking with different accent that I do. Before I left Burma, a Malaysian consultant told me that Burmese are working in as waiter in Malay restaurant and I found that is true. I finished my lunch at 12:45 and moved to the bus. The bus departed on the right time from different platform. On my ticket, it is stated the platform C39 but the bus leaved from C38.










Malay Traditional Style Buffet Restaurant

The bus is quite clean. I found another Burmese man on the bus who is sitting on my left front row isle seat. I took photos of the road side form JB to Melaka. A Tamil girl who is working for 711 in Bugis Junction is sitting next to me. She was invited by her friends from Melaka. She told me that the town is so beautiful and all of the buildings are painted in red. I couldn’t help waiting to see how beautiful Melaka is.

I arrived to Melaka round about 15:45. I went to information service and made inquired. The officer from information service pointed out me some nice location that I shouldn’t miss. I asked her to take my photo because I haven’t taken myself portrait. I bought a city map from there. Regarding her information, I took Melaka Panorama bus which designated for tourists. The bus fair is very cheep. I need to pay only RM1 to ride the bus for the whole day. I can alight or ascend as many as I want to if I can present for the day. I have to spend sometime in the city until 22:00, the time Min finished his duty.

I hired trishaw and see explore the beautiful ancient city. The official rental price for trishaw is RM20 for every 30 minutes. The law abiding trishaw-man charge with official rate and he gave me map as a present.

With this three wheel vehicle I loitered around Jalan Laksamana, Church of Saint St. Francis Xavier, Bank of Melaka River, Jalan Hang Jabet, Makam Hang Jabat Mouseleum, Sri Poyyatha Vinayagar Moorthi Temple, Kanpung Kling’s Mosque, Sam Poh Kong Temple, Maritime Museum, Coronation park, Plaza Makota, Malaka Sultan’s Place/Cultural Museum, Port de Santiago (A’ Formosa), St. Paul Hill and Proclamation of Independent memorial.


Please click this icon

from the slide show to read the subtitles.



After I alighted from the trishaw, I went to Dataran Phalawan/Melaka Megamall. As I came to Melaka unplanned, no-wonder I have extra clothing for the evening and next day. I was smelly, sun-bunt and sweat like a pig. I needed new clothes without delay. After I finished shopping, I went up to the St. Paul hill to see the city. I gaze the beauty of the city and took some photos of newly opened five stars hotel, Holiday Inn thinking that would be nice when my dear friend, Thinzar comes and work at there.

A local I met on the hill advised me not to stay for a long time over the hill in the dark. As per his advice I went down with him round about 20:00 and had a good conversation for a few minutes. This nice gentleman helped me to find the restaurant where Min is working and left me. It was only 21:00; Min hadn’t finished his duty at that time. I greeted Min and promised him that I will come back in after I have my dinner.

I went to a Malaysian restaurant had my dinner. I called to Myat Thu Soe who is heading from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur and made appointment with him. On the way of the bus to Melaka, I learned that it’s no more that 2 hours drive from Melaka to KL. I decided to go there next day morning. While I was on the phone with MTS, I notice that I didn’t take the charger for my cell phone. The battery is running out. It’s impossible to buy a new charger for G-net cell phone outside Thailand. MTS told me that he will use Singapore mobile phone. So I didn’t ask his Malay mobile number. After I finished my dinner, I have a desire to had ice-kachan, Malay traditional snack made with ice and some fruits. So I moved to another restaurant to have the snack. It was still early, Min hadn’t finished his duty. So I made some photo of the neighborhood of the coffee shop.












Interior of Dataran Phalawan/Melaka Megamall
















St. Paul Church's bell tower














Min's working in this cafe













That cafe is situated in this street












Famous Ice-kachan

Min bought a cheese cake for the shop for me. I had it in the hostel he staying. It is so delicious. I took the whole gang from his hostel to the café and had some chat for a while. After that the whole group went back to sleep. I went into the nice shower and sleep for the night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BIM (Building Information Modeling) မိတ်ဆက်

အခုအချိန်တွင် BIM ဆိုတဲ့ စကားလုံးကို ဆောက်လုပ်ရေးလောကမှာ အတော်များများ ပြောသံဆိုသံတွေ ကြားလာကြတယ်။ ဒါကြောင့် BIM ဘာကြီးမှန်း သိဖို့နဲ့ ဘယ်သူတွေက ဘယ်ကိစ္စတွေမှာ သုံးနေတယ် သုံးကြတယ် ဆိုတာကို အတိအကျသိဖို့ လိုပါလိမ့်မယ်။ တစ်ချို့က BIM သည် software တစ်မျိုးလို့ပြောတယ်။ တစ်ချို့က BIM သည် အဆောက်အဦးတွေရဲ့ 3D model လို့ဆိုကြပြန်တယ်။ တစ်ခြားလူတွေက BIM ဆိုတာ အဆောက်အဦးနဲ့ ပတ်သက်တဲ့ အချက်အလက်တွေ အကုန်လုံးကို သေသေခြာစုဆောင်း ပေးနိုင်တဲ့ လုပ်ငန်းစဉ် တစ်ခုလို့ ရှုင်းပြကြပြန်တယ်။ တစ်ကယ်တော့ BIM ဆိုတာ ခုနကပြောခဲ့တဲ့ အကြောင်းအရာတွေ အကုန်လုံးထက် အများကြီးကိုပိုသ ပြီးလုပ်ဆောင်ပေးနိုင် ပါသေးတယ်။  သာမန်လူတစ်​ေယာက်၊ ဆောက်လုပ်ရေးလောက ပြင်ပကလူတစ်ယောက် နားလည်အောင် ရှင်းပြရရင် BIM ဆိုတာဖြစ်လာဖို့ အတွက် digital 3D model ကို စပြီးတည်ဆောက်ရတယ်။ အဲဒီ model က သာမန် 3D model ထက်ပိုပြီး အခက်အလက်တွေကို ထည့်သွင်း ဖေါ်ပြတယ်။ ဆိုကြပါစို့ လှပပြီး စိတ်ဝင်စား စရာကောင်းတဲ့ နံရံတွေရဲ့ ဆေးရောင်တွေ၊ texture တွေ ကိုတစ်ပါတည်း ထည့်သွင်းဖေါ်ပြလို့ရပါတယ်။ BIM model တစ်ခု ဖြစ်လာဖို့ဆိုရင် တစ်ကယ့်အဆောက်အဦးမှာ ပါတယ့် စိတ်အပိုင်းတွေ အကုန်က

Living in Singapore: Promenade (1)

Standing in front of the Ministry of Development Master Plan of Marina Bay and I This is the Ariel photo of the island state, Singapore and this is where I live This is my apartment block Joint the parade TZO at China Town Singapore China Town Preserved area